Sunday, September 23, 2007

Race for The Cure

Yesterday was the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. It's always inspiring to see women in pink shirts, the survivors, walking or running.

It was fun running streets in my hometown where I normally only drive- the feeling running by familiar places is so different from driving by them. Unfortunately, the loop was only 1.5 miles, and so we did the same loop twice, and because the 1 mile walkers started 15 minutes after we did, you can imagine the congestion that that poor planning created. Other than that, it was a great race, if a little hot. Whoever decided 8:45 was a good time to start a race in West Texas in September is either a) not a runner or b) just not from here.

I was surprised to see how many people came out to run or walk in Lubbock- and happy. Not so happy to see the mountains of food for people after their 1 to 3 mile bout of exercise. I'm betting that a lot of people ate 2-3 times the amount of calories they burned on the course by eating either the donuts, burritos, sausage on a stick, ubiquitous free candy, sugary drinks, yogurt, bagels, and cream cheese that were available after the race.

Seriously, after the Austin Marathon there wasn't any free food available, and that's after burning ~2600 calories! As one person I overheard put it, "This obviously isn't the Race for the Cure for Obesity." (as he was chowing down on a chocolate glazed donut).

I didn't get in the rest of my miles yesterday as I'd hoped, but I did bike 10 miles for the Tour de Tech Terrace, which our house was a stop on this year. We give cookies out every year and this year we ran out before I even got the chance to engage in counter-productive behavior, so that's good.

So I feel like that the biking somewhat compensates, though the pace of this particular pelaton didn't exactly get my heart rate up. More leisurely riding from house to house, have a beer, bike to the next house (I didn't drink though...someone's got to be the designated biker). Good Tour, though- the cops were actually cool this year, and we didn't have any problems, even with ~300 (or so I hear) crazy bicyclists roaming the streets of our neighborhood collectively for six hours.

Little Sister gets home today so I think this evening we'll go for a run. 8 miles, methinks.

No comments: